[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 release planning

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Thu Feb 17 10:19:06 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 03:24:15PM +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:
| Stephan Richter wrote:
| [snip]

| >- There is a sense of a milestone that has a well-defined set of features
| >and API.
|
| This is very important if you're going to develop against something --
| see my remarks below.

| >I think that all three of those are very important, but I am not sure they
| >are a reason to release prematurely.
|
| Zope 3 is definitely not in any risk anymore of being released
| prematurely. :)
|
| >BTW, for Zope 3 we use the motto "Speed kills!"
|
| That's fine, but being too slow also kills, as you'll have people drive
| past you or over you.
|
| Anyway, one of the main advantages of a release is that *other* projects
| can do a release against those features too.
|
| I think it's fairly common for people *not* to deploy against anything
| but releases. I typically also only use as a development platform
| something that's released, unless I control the other thing's release
| process myself. This means I don't develop against unreleased versions
| of Zope, or Python, or most other things.

True, true.  This is precisely the problem I have now.  I know the
ldapauth package needs updating, or to be replaced by ldappas.
However I don't want to put effort into that until I know where it is
heading (ie 3.1 is released and I can work on it).  Also, I have a
small application I built on a CVS (yes, cvs) snapshot a while ago.
This application needs updating, bug fixing, and refactoring to do
things "right", however I can hardly justify putting resources into it
let alone updating it now just to have it need updating again when 3.1
is released.

I would like to help 3.1 become a reality, however I can't put a lot
of resources into it alone.  I'm certainly not qualified to act as a
release manager.  I just looked over Jim's todo list and I will see if
anything in the collector looks like something I could handle.

-D

--
Python is executable pseudocode. Perl is executable line noise.

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: dman at dman13.dyndns.org