[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 release planning

Brian Sutherland jinty at web.de
Thu Feb 17 13:59:17 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 12:59:10PM -0500, Tom Hoffman wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:12:21 -0500, Stephan Richter
> > > Perhaps Lennart or someone else would be willing to manage this
> > > list and try to herd people toward getting the items on it done.
> > > Of course, if we accelerate this for the schoolbell project, they
> > > need to make sure the release has what they need.
> >
> > Can we keep this list in doc/TODO? I have started one already there.
> >
> > Also, I talked to Tom Hoffman from the SchoolBell team yesterday and he said
> > that an April release date would be acceptable.
>
> To reduce the likelihood that Brian Sutherland, our intrepid
> _volunteer_ release manager reaches across the Atlantic to strangle me
> with his bare hands, or, failing that, just quits in frustration, I
> should qualify my statement.

:) I think I am quite resilient to frustration and not easily prone to
violence.

> In practical terms, it seems as though a snapshot from the trunk will
> be stable enough for our release.

Quality is nice, but security support and stability (yes, even stable
bugs) also have their place.

> On the other hand, from a packaging, release management point of view,
> it will be a significant pain in the ass to not have a 3.1 release
> before March 15.

Sorry to contradict, but,

I think by now it would be a useless exercise for this release cycle,
because quite a few things have to happen downstream for it to be truly
useful.  i.e. packaging and distribution. These are also done by
volunteers and will take an unknown amount of time.

A timely release, with some kind of small commitment to security support
would be utterly amazing for the next SchoolTool release cycle.

--
Brian Sutherland

It's 10 minutes, 5 if you walk fast.