[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 release planning

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Fri Feb 18 05:58:15 EST 2005

Fred Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:04:13 -0600, Garrett Smith
> <garrett at mojave-corp.com> wrote:
>
>>Btw, Stephan's point about even/odd release numbers, indicating stable
>>vs experimental releases is very interesting. I've seen this in a few
>>projects, though I don't have any direct experience myself.
>
> I think both Linux and Gnome use this, and there are others.

And with 2.6, linux seems to be moving away from this again.

> I've never liked it myself, because it seems non-obvious if you aren't
> aware that version numbers carry this sort of information.  A project
> name and a version number, by themselves, don't tell me that.
> Discovering this seems like an extra step for people who generally
> want to believe that releases are stable.

The nice thing about Gnome is that (unlike the Linux kernel) it has
time-based feature releases, so this compensates somewhat for the uneven
version number's potential for confusion.

Anyway, I don't think we need even/uneven for Zope 3, as I think the
quality management of Zope 3 is extremely good so there is less of a
chance of severe destabilization.

Regards,

Martijn