[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 release planning

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Fri Feb 18 11:59:31 EST 2005

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> If the trunk has well established release dates and the project has a
> reputation for keeping those release dates, then it becomes a lot more
> interesting to develop against the trunk, which will make it more
> likely for people to contribute to the trunk as well.

Zope could put out a "release" to hit a date, and build its reputation
as you suggest. Because I've seen lots of premature releases that were
purely date-motivated, I'd be suspicious of each one of them until I
heard back from the 'early adopters'. That's a bad regime, IMO. It's
better to let early adopters work with the trunk, and then provide
major, well tested releases (with betas, release candidates, etc.) when
they're ready to go.

I suspect the real issue here is, "how early and how often" -- and I
think this will be worked out over the next several releases.

Personally, I think the only real problem with the current system is
announcing dates using months of the year. Quarters would be better. And
results should be padded to make darned sure people aren't misled. If
organization's had a realistic timeframe for a release, and had a good
idea of what was in the release, I suspect this issue goes away.

 -- Garrett