[Zope3-dev] Re: Bug 358/359, 367 fixed

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 05:38:56 EST 2005

Hi Roger,

Roger Ineichen wrote:
>>That's disappointing to hear. I was under the impression that
>>the Zope 3
>>"ZMI" was expressly for developers, to avoid the hotch-potch
>>of target
>>audiences that resulted in the Zope 2 ZMI...
>
> What do you mean exactly with 'hotch-potch'?

I mean that right at the start of the Z3 project (yes, that long ago!)
one of the big complaints was that Z", and its ZMI in particular, was
focused on either developers or end users, and so ended up serving
neither audience very well.

> I think we can support a ZMI or just one skin for developers
> and endusers. It' much easier if we have on skin where we now
> in each level (dev and user) where the components are located.

I think re-usable components is a grand aim. My experience says that any
standard management interface that comes with Zope should be geared
towards developers, since they're the people who will end up using it
most. End users will likely have a custom interface built fo rthem by
developers. It would be very useful if, in building that UI, developers
could re-use components from the zmi, which is currently prettymuch
impossible in Zope 2.

> But for me there is no reason to have different Management Interfaces
> for users or developers.
>
> Or do I miss some usecases?

You assume that developers and users have a similar level of
understanding of how a system like zope works. That is a fatal error ;-)

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk