[Zope3-dev] Re: New Software Space UI

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jan 7 09:30:34 EST 2005

Paul Everitt wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> Jadran Prodan wrote:
>>
>>> Stephan Richter wrote:

>>> I know that some of those user roles were described on this list
>>> before but I think that we need a SF document about Zope3 UI.
>>>
>>> I'm using/developing for Zope 2.X and have some understanding of have
>>> different users use it. But I don't have much of Zope3 zen
>>> (interfaces, adapters, utilities, views etc.) anyway I like to help
>>> to produce such SF documentation.
>>

>> Great!
>>
>> I agree 100% that Sci-Fi would be the *best* next step.  I meant to
>> mention that in my other responses on this thread.
>>
>> For example, a short story on "Configuring your Site" would be a great
>> place to start.
>

> This is the main place I ran into trouble after EuroPython in Sweden:
>
> 1) What does "Site" mean, outside of CMS?

Web site, or application.

The key thing about a "site" at a low level is that it is
the basis for for configuration.  Site management is how someone
controls what their application does, whether TTW or via ZCML.

I wouldn't object to picking a different word if folks that
that would be clearer.

> 2) Does it matter?

Probably not.

 > We could focus our discussion on CMS use cases,
> since that's 90% of our collective experience.

Makes sense to me.

 > Alternatively, someone
> could describe a non-CMS usage of Zope 3 that they deployed (for Zope 2
> or Zope 3).

Since almost anything can be characterized as CM, I wouldn't try this. ;)

> 3) If we start by saying "Site" == "CMS Site", does that mean this
> machinery should be adjacent to Zope 3, but not *in* Zope 3 (since Zope
> 3 wants badly to be not-limited-to-CMS)?

No. Zope 3 has a concept of "site" that CMSs will leverage.  It's OK
that CMS is the canonical example.

> I apologize for these rather basic questions, but I have a hard time
> getting my mind focused on the small pile, rather than lost in the big
> pile of use cases.

These are great questions.

> After that, I guess my big question is reflected in the back-and-forth
> on this thread: which actor are we talking about first?  I propose that
> we exclude the conversation to Site Manager doing configuration, not
> development.  I think this is Jim's position as well.

Yup.

> (Spoken as the
> guy who spent time thinking about a TTW type-builder, alas.)

I'm interested in that too, but I think it's best to focus on
easier and more urgent problems first.