[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope3 subversion down?

Jeroen Janssen japj at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 9 12:37:26 EST 2005

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Jeroen Janssen]
>>> It seems Zope3 subversion is down.
>>> When I try to browse to http://svn.zope.org/ (or try a svn update) I
>>> get:
>>>
>>> "Berkeley DB error while opening 'transactions' table for
>>> filesystem /svn/repos/main/db:\nCannot allocate memory"
>>>
>>> Anyone here that can fix the problem?
>
> [Stephan Richter]
>> Yeah, I think I caused this last night when I tried a mega checkin to my
>> branch. I thought it would recover over night, but I guess it did not.
>> We'll have to wait till Monday for Jim to fix the issue.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't think Berkeley-related exceptions ever recover
> by themselves -- Jim always has to fiddle it by hand.  I doubt your
> checkin caused it.  If we knew what caused Berkeley to get wedged,
> we'd fix it <0.9 wink>.  AFAIK, Jim usually finds evidence of a large
> number of connections shortly before a wedge -- so maybe it's an
> overly eager robot (or some such).

Does this kind of thing happen on a regular basis? (and are the subversion
developers aware of this?) If it is 'reproduceable', it might be good to
let them now / file a bugreport with all the information.

On a side note, I think there is also a 'non-database' backend for the
server that was introduced in subversion 1.1... maybe it can help (to
migrate to?)

just some thoughts...
---
Jeroen Janssen