[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope3 subversion down?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Jan 9 12:57:00 EST 2005

Jeroen Janssen wrote:
> Tim Peters wrote:
>

>>[Jeroen Janssen]

>>[Stephan Richter]
>>
>>>Yeah, I think I caused this last night when I tried a mega checkin to my
>>>branch. I thought it would recover over night, but I guess it did not.
>>>We'll have to wait till Monday for Jim to fix the issue.
>>
>>Unfortunately, I don't think Berkeley-related exceptions ever recover
>>by themselves -- Jim always has to fiddle it by hand.  I doubt your
>>checkin caused it.  If we knew what caused Berkeley to get wedged,
>>we'd fix it <0.9 wink>.  AFAIK, Jim usually finds evidence of a large
>>number of connections shortly before a wedge -- so maybe it's an
>>overly eager robot (or some such).

There were lots of conections, but not from the web server.
They were mostly public svn connections (svn://svn.zope.org...),
but I have no idea if that is meaningful.

> Does this kind of thing happen on a regular basis?

Yes, for some definition of regular.  We can go weeks without
a problem, but it's happenned twice in the last week.

> (and are the subversion
> developers aware of this?) If it is 'reproduceable',

That's the problem. We can't reproduce it on demand.

 > it might be good to
> let them now / file a bugreport with all the information.

I don't think we have enough information for that.

> On a side note, I think there is also a 'non-database' backend for the
> server that was introduced in subversion 1.1... maybe it can help (to
> migrate to?)

Eventually, that might be an option.