[Zope3-dev] Re: Encoding of the PageTemplateFile

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Jul 13 06:30:34 EDT 2005

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Dmitry Vasiliev wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Some time ago there has been a discussion on Zope3-Users list about
>> specifying an encoding of the PageTemplateFile like this:
>>
>> <browser:page
>>     template="tempalte.pt"
>>     encoding="utf-8"
>> />
>>
>> So there are some questions:
>>
>> - Is anybody working on this?
>> - What should be the default encoding if no encoding is given? UTF-8?
>> - Can we include this functionality in Zope 3.1 release? I guess we at
>> least can set the default encoding of the PageTemplateFile to "UTF-8"
>> without any problems.
>

> I wouldn't mind such a change, but I think it's a little too late for
> 3.1. The first beta of 3.1 is already out, that means a feature freeze.
>
> In the long term, I would rather have this specified the way it should
> be with XML data: using an <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
> processing instructions.

Andreas Reuleaux pointed me to the fact that this XML declaration should
only be used for determining the ZPT input encoding, not the output
encoding (which is set by negotiating the best available charset and is
set in the response, so ZPTs have no influence on this anyway). It
therefore shouldn't be part of the output because not only could the
encoding be different in the output, some browsers like IE also get
confused when they see the <?xml ?> processing instruction.

Philipp