[Zope3-dev] problems with ZOPE_WATCH_CHECKERS

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Tue Jul 19 14:09:22 EDT 2005

On Jul 19, 2005, at 12:35 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to debug the security of a Zope 3 application (in Zope
>>> 3.1 beta) and I am having trouble getting ZOPE_WATCH_CHECKERS to
>>> work.
>>>
>> Note that I was trying this as matters are aggrevated by
>> zope.app.exception.browser; there's a view registered for
>> IUnauthorized which suppresses a traceback from appearing in the
>> log, so it becomes extremely hard to debug security with that
>> enabled. If I disable that, I do see a traceback, which at least
>> helps me further.
> This did help me further, until I realized that this view is in
> some way involved in presenting the login dialog as well, and
> disabling it doesn't let me log in. As a result, I am now stuck
> debugging this security issue. There must be a way others use that
> does work -- what am I missing? I only want to be able to see which
> permission on which object is failing.

Here are two choices:

- Go TTW to the root exception logger and configure it to not ignore
Unauthorized exceptions.  Provoke the problem again and then look at
the exception TTW.

- log in using a standard server.  stop your server and change the
server to a PDB server in the config.  Reprovoke; you'll be dumped in
the code where the error is happening.  The security environment is
now a bit wonky so it is a bit problematic.

Gary