[Zope3-dev] Formatting dates

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 13:25:12 EDT 2005

On 7/21/05, Garrett Smith <garrett at mojave-corp.com> wrote:
> I guess my question was whether you see the widget handling the setting of the
> time zone, or the application. My vote would be that the widget deal with this,
> using adaptation to black box the process of finding the implicit tzinfo (assuming
> the widget doesn't have a UI for explicitly setting it).

I'll agree that adaptation should be used to get the implied tzinfo.

Whether the widget should be responsible for filling in a tzinfo at
all depends on how the application is going to use the value; there
should be a way for a field to indicate whether the value contains a
tzinfo as well as whether the actual value should be normalized to a
specific timezone.

It should still be up to the application to specify what kind of
timezone handling is needed (via the schema).

  -Fred

Zope Corporation