[Zope3-dev] Re: DAV locking

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Jun 6 07:53:40 EDT 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Sunday 05 June 2005 09:35, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>>- What's the deadline for this?
>>
>>Well, um, Stephan was hoping to make the beta today. :)
>>
>>I don't know if we can treat the absense of DAV locking as a bug and
>>get it in after the beta.
>

> No, that would be a feature. So we either have the choice of waiting a week or
> making an alpha release. I am for the first option, since I would like to
> have all packages included in the release.

Why is DAV locking all of a sudden so important that we want to delay
the release at least another week? Not that I don't trust Sidnei's
coding abilities, but some last minute implementations that nobody had
the time to thoroughly test never produced fewer bug reports after the
release.
And this is not about providing unit and functional tests. I know from
my own experience that different DAV clients interpret the DAV standard
differently so it'd be presumptuous to say that a mere implementation of
a LOCK view would gain us DAV locking support...

X3.0 is out there w/o locking and 3.1 has to many new features that it
shouldn't be ashamed of not including this particular one either. The
locking API has been in the trunk for months now and it never came to
anybody's mind to do something about DAV locking. So, one could raise
the question whether there's even need for this in 3.1, given there has
been so little interest in it...

Please, let's not delay the release.

Philipp