[Zope3-dev] status of zc.page?

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Jun 16 06:09:14 EDT 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:

[snip]

>> We have some concerns though:
>>
>> * the snapshot is probably aging as bugs get discovered and fixed in
>> your repository. Could you perhaps update the snapshot?
>
> Sure.

Okay, cool!

>> * it requires Python 2.4.1. Zope 3.1 to my knowledge is targetting
>> Python 2.3. It looks like it's fairly easy to rewrite the few
>> decorators that are in the package itself so they work with Python 2.3
>> instead, but we don't want to maintain our own fork. Obviously we want
>> to use this with Zope 3.1. Am I mistaken about the Python version
>> targetted by Zope 3.1?
>
> No.  It supports Python 2.4 though.

Ah, I didn't realize that this was the case. We should make sure that's
announced when the 3.1 release is done.

>  > I'm rather confused that you're apparently using Python 2.4.1 for
>
>> internal Zope 3 projects.
>

> Why?  Python 2.4 makes some things more convenient.

Sure, but I thought that Zope 3.1 only supported Python 2.3, not 2.4, so
this was my first hint that Zope 3.1 actually is also aimed at
supporting (but not requiring) Python 2.4.

> In partcicular, I really have come to like the new features in Zope 3.1
> that let us declare adapted interfaces and to declare provided
> implemented interfaces for functions.  The decorator syntax makes this
> more readable.
>
> Still, of course, for the bits we open source, I guess we are going to have
> to port back to 2.3.  We're happy to do this if people start using zc.page.
> We've gotten almost no feedback up until now.

Well, there's no need if we just say that this bit requires a Zope 3.1
running Python 2.4; why create extra work for ourselves? I just didn't
realize that using Python 2.4 was possible or recommended, but since
you're doing it on a project I guess there's no objection to doing so
with our project either.

Regards,

Martijn