[Zope3-dev] Menu issues

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Tue Mar 1 15:47:27 EST 2005

Hello everyone,

as you have seem probably, I have been working on a menu demo today. Update
your Zope 3, then go to http://localhost:8080/%40%40menudemo.html

While I was doing that it occurred to me that our implementation of menus has
some problems. For example, it might be desirable at times to have a sub-menu
that lists all recently opened files. Currently there is no way ti implement
that, since we do not have the concept of a menu, but only a menu item, which
are fairly static.

Thus, I propose to implement a menu adapter that mainly does the work
"getMenu" is currently doing. By default the implementation of a menu will be
very simple. But one can optionally specify a menu class that does very
different things to generate menu items. This would allow us to implement the
"Open Recently" use case.

Another advantage is that we can then store some sort of state on the menu;
for example whether non-available items should be not displayed or be
disabled. Another possible feature would be the grouping of menu-items and
inserting meta-items, such as a separator.

Please let me know what you think.

Regards,
Stephan
--