[Zope3-dev] Menu issues

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Wed Mar 2 04:25:45 EST 2005

Hi stefan

Behalf Of Stephan Richter
> Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 9:47 PM
> To: zope3-dev at zope.org
> Subject: [Zope3-dev] Menu issues
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> as you have seem probably, I have been working on a menu demo
> today. Update
> your Zope 3, then go to http://localhost:8080/%40%40menudemo.html

First, thanks for your great work.

> While I was doing that it occurred to me that our
> implementation of menus has
> some problems. For example, it might be desirable at times to
> have a sub-menu
> that lists all recently opened files. Currently there is no
> way ti implement
> that, since we do not have the concept of a menu, but only a
> menu item, which
> are fairly static.

I'm still working out a way where we can build menus with submenus.
I think there is no other way then using javascripts;-(
Yes the gecko engine can do it without JS, but ie ...

I think your implementation is going in the right direction
if you using nested lists. This is today the best concept
for supporting future accessiblity requierments.

> Thus, I propose to implement a menu adapter that mainly does the work
> "getMenu" is currently doing. By default the implementation
> of a menu will be
> very simple. But one can optionally specify a menu class that
> does very
> different things to generate menu items. This would allow us
> to implement the
> "Open Recently" use case.

I think, using adapters will be staight forward for this.

Perhaps we can a also support a menu view where is using a
layout template. If so we could call this view and get a
rendered menu component. This whould be cleaner then do it
all the time in a master template and would make it reusable.
(like the navigation tree in Rotterdam)

> Another advantage is that we can then store some sort of
> state on the menu;

On the menu item in the registry? This info is session or
principal related? right? I mean if a menu is collapsed
or expanded is up to what a user klicked.
Or you mean somthing like the default state of a menu item for a
application?

> for example whether non-available items should be not displayed or be
> disabled. Another possible feature would be the grouping of
> menu-items and
> inserting meta-items, such as a separator.

Uh, I forgot the separators in the unordered list concept...

Has anybody some ideas, for supporting separator in UL menues?
Or knows a good sample.

> Please let me know what you think.

Regards
Roger Ineichen