[Zope3-dev] Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Mar 18 10:26:29 EST 2005

Roger Ineichen wrote:
> Hi Jim
>
> Behalf Of Jim Fulton
>
>>Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 2:31 PM
>>To: zope3-dev at zope.org
>>Subject: [Zope3-dev] Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze
>>

>>Lets freeze features for X3.1 on April 2.  I propose to make
>>the X3.1 branch on that day.  At that point, we'll start working
>>on a beta release. Perhaps we can make a beta release the following
>>week. At that point, we'll need to decide what will be included in
>>X3.1.
>>
>>If you are working on new features, please try to wrap them up
>>long before April 2.  This is particicularly important for packages
>>included in X3.0.
>>
>>Jim
>>
>>P.S.  Now that that the decision has been made to include Zope 3
>>       in Zope 2.8, I'd really prefer that Zope 2.8 use X3.1 code,
>>       not X3.0 code. In general, having code shared by Zope 2 and
>>       Zope 3 will complicate deprecation, probably increasing the
>>       length of time we must keep backward-compatibility code.
>>       I'd like to try to keep the Zope 3 code used in Zope 2 and
>>       the Zope 3 code used in Zope 3 in sync as much as possible.
>

> Uhaaa,
>
> What does this mean? Do we have to run tests for Zope 2.8
> if we develope on the z3 trunk?

No.

 > Are we now responsible for
> both (z3 and z2) if we work on the z3 trunk and the backwards
> compatibility?

We need to be backward compatible with any released software.
If Zope 3 code is released in Zope 2, that increases the burden.
That's why I'd prefer that the *same* code gets released in both.

In fact, going forward, I really want to sync up the Z2 and Z3
release cycles.  I think we have an opportunity to do this now.

 > If so I think it's really to early. If not
> doesn't matter. I'm not really happy to take care on zope 2.8
> and future releases of Zope2 since we don't have finshed
> the Zope3 core development.

So you'd rather that Zope 3 code not be included in
Zope 2.8. That might be better.

> What I mean with finishing the Zope3 development is:
> - refactoiring the form/widget framework
> - refactoring the IFile implementation
> - Solve the problem for nested sites and Authentication
>   (actually we have a two step login mechnism)
> - And many other unsolved problems where nobody is working on
>   (See bugtracker) including me ;-(

There will always be more things we want to do.
That's why we need a system for gradual change, which
our deprecation policy gives us.

> Perhaps this doesn't affect the Zope 2.8 work.
> But then, it whould be nice if somebody can make a statement
> which packages are used form Zope 2.8 and what's the target!

Good point. Perhaps the scope of including Zope 3 in Zope 2.8
should be better defined.  Do we *really* need to release
everything in Zope 3 in Zope 2.8? Almost certainly not.