[Zope3-dev] Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Fri Mar 18 10:47:31 EST 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 10:26:29AM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
[snip]
> Good point. Perhaps the scope of including Zope 3 in Zope 2.8
> should be better defined.  Do we *really* need to release
> everything in Zope 3 in Zope 2.8? Almost certainly not.

The Zope community has a severe lack of resources to accomplish
releases. I spent this week trying to marshal these resources and
getting close to a Zope 2.8 release, with Zope 3 features. We did not
add any new features to Zope 2.8 or Five or Zope 3, but based it off
well-known released versions and polished them so they were ready for
release, or in the case of Zope 2.8, as ready as we could make it.

Separating the parts out of Zope 3 that are really needed for Five,
and thus Zope 2.8, is a significantly large job I do not expect we have
the resources for. I, as an important Five developer and its release
manager, can certainly cannot commit to this work, and I researched this
before.

The approach we took here is that of *distributing* components that
already existed together. We still spent a whole week on this with
significant manpower. We are also not dummies here at the sprint...

We believe that such a distribution is worthwhile
in getting people on the migration path now. The CPS, Silva and Plone
developers here want this. We also discussed this with both Tres and
Brian, who were here.

Note that Five does not involve persistent content whatsoever, so I
expect backwards compatibility issues with using Zope X3.0 are minimal.

I know it's due to a lack of communication, but Jim, you almost looked
this week as if you were actively trying to obstruct a Zope 2.8 release.
zpkgtools, Zope X3.1 instead of ZopeX3.0, ZODB 3.4 instead of ZODB 3.3,
and so on. This while Zope 2.8 was originally supposed to be released
a year ago. It all made me feel rather frustrated, and less likely to commit
resources to this in the future.

Regards,

Martijn