[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Fri Mar 18 10:30:25 EST 2005

Hi Martijn

I hope to see you contributing again.
I like it that Infrae descide to start working based on Zope3.

Martijn Faassen [mailto:faassen at infrae.com]
> Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 3:59 PM
> To: Roger Ineichen
> Cc: 'alan runyan'; zope3-dev at zope.org
> Subject: Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze
>
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 03:41:06PM +0100, Roger Ineichen wrote:
> [snip]
> > Good work needs it's time! We make the mistake to release
> > the 3.0X to early and we pay now for this. Don't let's
> > make the same mistake again.
>
> Zope 3 has been in development since early 2002 at the very
> least. *I* have
> been involved in its development since then. I am baffled you
> are saying
> a release in ZopeX3.0 in october 2004 is 'too early'.

What I missed is, that we didn't have had a 0.1, 0.2, 0.x release
cycle. Everybody was waiting to the release and that's correct
we are ready to show something. But we sugest the poeple that
we are finishing and they are surprised now that we do some bigger
refactoring. Like Stephans blow-service branch.

Another refactoring will become requiered in the form framework
in the next future. I just say if we give this to the poeple
to early, we pay the bill and have to support all enduser.

I see a problem in this situation. There is now community
for Zope3 users right now. And the result will be that we
as the core developer has to answer all enduser questions.

If we don't support this new enduser (perhaps scripters)
Then we have another problem.

I really think we have to less power for to fit all at once
right now. We can't do all we have to. ;-)

I really like your concept about time based release and all
what you proposed. But take a look at the situation where we
have right now. It's not this nice. And everybody where
has the skills for really bring Zope3 to the next level is
working in differnt projects or is waiting till we are finish.

I just tell you if everbody is waiting. Then they have to wait.
If you see the situation different, then tell me where is solving
the bugs in the bugtracker, make the release package, write
a roadmap, think about and document such desicions like
integrate Zope3 in Zope2.8 and update the developer with
such important information.

Regards
Roger Ineichen