[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Fri Mar 18 11:08:22 EST 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 04:30:25PM +0100, Roger Ineichen wrote:

| I really like your concept about time based release and all
| what you proposed. But take a look at the situation where we
| have right now. It's not this nice. And everybody where
| has the skills for really bring Zope3 to the next level is
| working in differnt projects or is waiting till we are finish.
|
| I just tell you if everbody is waiting. Then they have to wait.

That's the problem.  Too many people are waiting instead of working.
In some environments it is unjustifiable to expend any resources on
"vaporware", as it can be perceived, when results are needed "now".

| If you see the situation different, then tell me where is solving
| the bugs in the bugtracker, make the release package,

If 3.1 is released, then people can upgrade their production and
development systems.  Then they will discover and fix defects, and
3.1.1 can be released with these fixes.  Then the people will upgrade,
and so on.  People can transition from "waiting" to "working" (and
"contributing") when releases are made.

When the release is still a hypothetical "soon" but realistically
unforseeable, then many people continue to wait.  Too much waiting
forces the use of other technologies to solve the immediate need.

As far as supporting end-users, the more reliable the releases the
more users there will be, and that will build a group of people who
can understand the internals enough to support the newcomers.  I don't
see having more users as a problem, as long as the users aren't
lemmings (remember that old computer game?).

Another risk with long release cycles and major changes in each
release is the lifetime of old releases is extended even further as
people are reluctant to upgrade production systems that are "working"
for fear of repercussions when things look different and the users
freak out or worse if things stop working.

Don't delay the release in hopes of attaining perfection :-).

-D

--
If you want to know what God thinks about money,
just look at the people He gives it to.

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: dman at dman13.dyndns.org