[Zope3-dev] Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Mar 18 14:04:11 EST 2005

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> As far as I know, we've never officially deprecated ZClasses,
>> If the community wants to do that, I won't object, but a lot of
>> people will be hurt.
>

> Hurt how?`They might think "Oh, that's too bad', but 2.7 works, and it's
> obvius that the features of 2.8 is not so necessary to people to make
> them scream about it...

They who currently use ZClasses would be hurt because they wouldn't
be able to upgrade to 2.8.

> So, since the major feature of 2.8 is to take a step forwards towards
> 3.0 compaitibility with new classes and all that, why would it hurt
> ZClass people not to be able to use Zope2.8? Thay are not loosing any
> functionality...

They are loosing:

- MVCC

- Cyclic GC

- plus all of the features you mention above.

>> Backward compatibility is very important.  We can't just remove
>> an important feature just because it's inconvenient to support it.
>

> Nothing gets removed. Zope 2.7 still exists...

That's not what I mean by backward compatibility.

Are you suggesting that Zope 3 is backward compatible because
Zope 2 exists?

>> If someone wants to get rid of ZClasses, they'd better ask the
>> larger Zope comminity what *they* think about it.
>

> Sure. I'm just voicing my opinion here, and *I* don't see a problem with
> 2.8 not supporting ZClasses.

Ok. Noted. :)