[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze

Brian Sutherland jinty at web.de
Sun Mar 20 20:21:20 EST 2005

Jeff's reply to my mail was rejected, so I am forwarding it for him.

Jeff Waugh wrote:

<quote who="Brian Sutherland">

> > So when is Ubunto released?  Do other distributions have similar release
> > schedules.  I assume the various projects with 6-month schedules are not
> > synchronized.
>
> The next version of Ubuntu is scheduled for 4 april [1]

[ The release is on the Wednesday though, so it'll be the 6th - don't want
anyone thinking we're late! ;-) ]

> then every 6 months after that. But there is an upstream version freeze
> about 3 months before this date [2]. I am not entirely sure, but it looks
> like a Zope 3.x release should be before the upstream version freeze if it
> can be included. Bugfix, i.e. 3.x.x releases can be included later than
> this date. I have CC'ed the Ubuntu release manager Jeff Waugh, so maybe he
> can jump in and explain better/correct me.

Nup, this is 100% correct. We'll be tweaking the release process a bit for
breezy (Ubuntu 5.10), but I don't think the UpstreamVersionFreeze date will
change substantially. (If anything, it will be pushed closer to the release
date, but I don't expect that to happen just yet.)

> So as a first draft of a release timetable:
> 1. Zope 3.x releases:
>     - December/June
> 2. Zope 3.x derivatives releases (e.g. SchoolBell/SchoolTool/...):
>     - January/July
> 3. Major Distribution Releases:
>     - March-May/October-Decamber

I'd love to encourage you to aim for a specific date and nail it. It's so
satisfying when you do. :-) In fact, I would even risk being hit by tomatoes
to give a release management talk at a Python or Zope conference some time.
Which conference would you recommend? (I will be available for heckling at
OSCON this year, too.)

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
GUADEC 2005: May 29th-31st                           http://2005.guadec.org/

       "The worst vice is ad-vice." - Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate

--
Brian Sutherland

It's 10 minutes, 5 if you walk fast.