[Zope3-dev] RE: issue 216

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Tue Mar 22 17:00:27 EST 2005

Hi Roman

Behalf Of Roman Roelofsen
> Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 6:51 PM
> To: zope3-dev at zope.org
> Subject: Re: [Zope3-dev] RE: issue 216
>

> Hi Roger,
>
> thanks for your reply.
>
> > > ~ So, what do you think about my approach?
> > > ~ Is there a better, more "zopeish" way?
> >
> > Yes, add a own skin, there you can provide whatever you like.
> > Hm, that's not right. If you inherit your skin from the
> rotterdam layer
> > you will inherit all views and pages.
>
> But if I define my user_views, etc. in my custom skin, my
> view compontents
> wouldn´t be useable in other zope instances which are using a
> different skin.

I like to have a default skin offers actions and views like
zmi_views and zmi_actions.

Then it's up to you if you like to add a own skin and register
own actions and views.

You allways can add also actions like zmi_actions and zmi_views
for another skin for the same objects.

> Example:
> Let´s say I developing a contact system. All of my pages for
> the contact
> system should provide the same "look and feel" for the user.
> So I´m using the
> user_views on all pages. Now the question is, where to define
> the user_views
> macro. In a new skin or below the skin besides my other .pt files.

Doen't matter wherever you like.
You can add a own package or put it in a existing package.

> I want to use my contact system on several zope instances and
> perhaps other
> people will want to use it too. If I define my user_views
> macro in a custom
> skin, my contact system would only be useable if the hole
> site is using MY
> skin. That doesn´t sound very practical.
>
> Or am I missing something??

Yes, if you like to share a package and let's say you build
a project for a customer where you can't share the skin
because it's paid work, you always can support a different
skin.

The skin part is just another layer where you present
allready existing components and views. The component and
views nedds different ZCML registration for e.g. the Rotterdam
skin if you use own actions like "user_actions".

> > Sorry I don't have this much time for explain.
> > Do you need it right now? I plan to implement
> > a new skin in about two weeks.
>
> No. I´m still learning Zope3.

Cool, take a look at our future commits on zope.app.boston

> > There will also
> > be a presentation skin which shows the use of
> > site visitor skins.
>
> A site visitor skins? Different users should use different skins?
> Boston for admins (for example) and the new SV skin for
> users. Correct?

If you ask me, I say of corse Yes, perhaps others means No.
I like to see a custo skin for site visitors and a site admin
or manager skin for manage the application.
And it should be possible to do the same thing in the manage
skin what you can do in the site visitor skin.

But the site vistor skin has no manager functionality.

> Is "skin" then still the correct word? I always understood a
> Zope3 skin as the
> last polish step for my whole site.

Yes, it's the presentation layer for your application.

> > Regards
> > Roger Ineichen
>
> Thanks a lot for your answers and time. I know you Zope3
> developers have
> better things to do. I hope I don´t stress you to much.

That's ok, It's interessting to see what's not clear for
other people. If we know this, we can improve some parts.

Regards
Roger Ineichen