[Zope3-dev] RE: issue 216

Roman Roelofsen r.roelofsen at tuxed.de
Tue Mar 22 12:51:23 EST 2005

Hi Roger,

thanks for your reply.

> > ~ So, what do you think about my approach?
> > ~ Is there a better, more "zopeish" way?
>
> Yes, add a own skin, there you can provide whatever you like.
> Hm, that's not right. If you inherit your skin from the rotterdam layer
> you will inherit all views and pages.

But if I define my user_views, etc. in my custom skin, my view compontents
wouldn´t be useable in other zope instances which are using a different skin.

Example:
Let´s say I developing a contact system. All of my pages for the contact
system should provide the same "look and feel" for the user. So I´m using the
user_views on all pages. Now the question is, where to define the user_views
macro. In a new skin or below the skin besides my other .pt files.

I want to use my contact system on several zope instances and perhaps other
people will want to use it too. If I define my user_views macro in a custom
skin, my contact system would only be useable if the hole site is using MY
skin. That doesn´t sound very practical.

Or am I missing something??

> Sorry I don't have this much time for explain.
> Do you need it right now? I plan to implement
> a new skin in about two weeks.

No. I´m still learning Zope3.

> There will also
> be a presentation skin which shows the use of
> site visitor skins.

A site visitor skins? Different users should use different skins?
Boston for admins (for example) and the new SV skin for users. Correct?

Is "skin" then still the correct word? I always understood a Zope3 skin as the
last polish step for my whole site.

> Regards
> Roger Ineichen

Thanks a lot for your answers and time. I know you Zope3 developers have
better things to do. I hope I don´t stress you to much.

Best regards,

		Roman