[Zope3-dev] getUtilitiesFor() fools me

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Mon May 2 11:20:31 EDT 2005

Hi,

I restructured the TXNG 3 source so that the core implementation can be
used as package (within Zope 2.8/Five)
...so far so good.

The configure.zcml under Products/TextIndexNG3 contains several statements
of the form:

  <utility
      provides="textindexng.interfaces.IConverter"
      component="textindexng.converters.doc.DocConverter"
      name="application/vnd.ms-word"
      />

Inside a browser view class there is the following method:

    def get_converters(self):
        """ return all available converters """

        from zope.app import zapi
        from textindexng.interfaces import IConverter
        print [x for x in zapi.getUtilitiesFor(IConverter)]
        return zapi.getUtilitiesFor(IConverter)

But the getUtilitiesFor() call always returns nothing. In my case
textindexng/interfaces contains several files with interfaces and all
interfaces are aliased in interfaces/__init__.py. The "textindexng"
package itself lives unter Products/TextIndexNG3 and sys.path is
extended in Products/TextIndexNG3/__init__.py to be able to import
the "textindexng" package without the need to use "Products.TextIndexNG3"
in imports....so any ideas why the utility machinery refuses to
return the registered utilities for the given interface? A

Andreas