[Zope3-dev] Re: MessageID's automatic translation in TAL

Dmitry Vasiliev lists at hlabs.spb.ru
Sun May 8 06:57:33 EDT 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:

>>>Right. That's one reason why it's bad.
>>
>>Can someone explain this use case a bit deeper ?
>>
>>If this is a crucial use case, we could still better have
>>i18n:translate="nothing" or i18n:disable="" or i18n:omit-translate or
>>whatever on the specific places that needs to disable translation when
>>the python module author thought it should be translated.
>

> Oh come on, this just sucks. I think Philipp raised numerous other good points
> I agree with, especially the comparison with Python code. Really, automatic
> translation violates the laws of explicitness.

I think we have more an expected behaviour problem rather an explicitness
problem. For example when I create a msgid I guess that it will be translated
at some point later. For a static content i18n:translate just creates a msgid
and then translate it later, why then msgids created in Python code should be
explicitly translated? Maybe then we should split i18n:translate to i18n:define
and i18n:translate? I don't think so. :-)

Sometimes people even don't realize what a msgid is just a definition phase of
a translation process, and do things like "str + msgid" and so I guess they
will be confused by explicit translation process.

BTW, I've just found another case of automatic translation for evaluated
i18nVar values.

And some more related questions:

- Should we do automatic translation for msgid's inside a TALES expression?
- Maybe we need some new TALES expression type for msgid definition? For example:

     <tal:block define="name msgid:Specific">

--
Dmitry Vasiliev (dima at hlabs.spb.ru)
     http://hlabs.spb.ru