[Zope3-dev] Re: SVN: Zope/trunk/lib/python/ use a specific revision of the Zope 3 trunk for now until we have some sort of tag

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Nov 12 11:20:32 EST 2005

Actually, I said we ought to be ready for the first beta by Nov 1. :)

 >> Even if we don't branch at
>>those points, we should be tagging the freeze point any any intermediate
>>"OK, fixed that, now try again" points.

Absolutely.

> Yeah, but the bug day was a big flop for both Zope 2 and Zope 3, so Andreas
> and I (and even with Jim's approval) decided not to release. I also will not
> cut a branch until more bugs have been fixed, so that I lower the bar for bug
> fixers and force people to work on bugs not features.
>
> BTW, I think that Philipp did the right thing. Depending on a specific
> revision is fine, though pointing to the trunk right now would work too,
> since it is feature frozen.

No, it wouldn't.  In my strongly held opinion, you should never
depend on a trunk or branch unless the people checking in there
are running *your* tests before a checkin.  A bug fix I made earlier
this week actually broke a Five test.

Depending on revisions, which you update frequently, provides important
stability.  The person who updates the revision can first make sure
all their tests pass, addressing any issues before checking in.