[Zope3-dev] Re: Event fixes

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Nov 28 10:19:58 EST 2005

Florent Guillaume wrote:
> Dominik Huber wrote:
>
>> The modification descriptiors were introduced by Uwe Ostermeier to
>> handle the versioning and cataloging stuff.

I seem to remember some discussion of this.  It provided a way to give
hints about what was changed.

 >> I'm not an expert in that
>> field, but in my understanding the modification descriptors are more
>> general and your case is a subset that could be handled with them. As
>> a developer, I would still prefer one concept, because it's easier to
>> adapt. Sufficiently fundamental cases are always a shaky
>> discrimination to differ two concepts for future implementation
>> decisions.
>

> If you don't feel that containment boundaries are a sufficiently
> fundamental concept, then we have a strong disagreement. I stand by what
> I checked in.
>
> And BTW with "modification descriptions" I couldn't write a simple
> adapter for this. I'd have to have a generic adapter for
> IObjectModifiedEvent, then iterate over all the descriptions and filter
> by hand. Yuck.

This is definately an advantage of the type-based approach.

OTOH, I think a description-based approach could be made to work.
I wonder if there are worked-out description-based strategies.
I worry that, while the description-based strategy has some
potential merit, it isn't adequately worked out.