[Zope3-dev] Zope 3.1

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Fri Oct 14 11:11:28 EDT 2005

Hi Chris

The main question is, what's the base "source" for build the Zope3
application server. I guess this will be generated by zpkgtools
in some way.
If I understand zpkgtools correct, we can use it for checkout the
source. The step after the checkout isn't clear to me right now
for windows.

zpkgtools dosn't offer a way to get a running buildout where is
needed for build the installer ".exe" right now. But I guess we
can enhance zpkgtools for what we need. Or implement another
python script where will build our installer. The python script
where we use right now uses the default python concept for
build the ".exe" file. That's why we have all this restrictions.

We also have to define how Zope3 get installed on a windows
machine. I don't like the normal installation where is located in the
python installation root right now. This means we whould offer a
installation "by instance" where we don't share the zope/python
libraries, located in the python installation root, and don't need
to run "mkzopeinstance".

Then we can think about how we can integrate a windows install builder.
This means it should be possible to run a pyhton script where will
create a configuration script for the install builder like BitRock
or InnoSetup.
This is not very hard since install builder like BitRock can be used from
commando line and use a XML file as the configuration for building
a installer ".exe". This part could be automated and since BitRock
runs on all OS, we could even build a windows installer on a linux
box. Only for testing whould we need a windows box.

If this main concept works, we can think about the integration of a
service manager. I guess there are some python service mamanger out
there where we can use and customize.

The best way to do all required steps would be a sprint. I guess
if the right people are there, it's possible to improve all parts
where we need in 3 or 4 days.

btw,
A option for backup the Data.fs should also be integrated in the
update (installation) process.

Regards
Roger Ineichen