[Zope3-dev] RFC: Content Providers and Viewlets

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Sun Oct 16 10:08:36 EDT 2005

On Oct 16, 2005, at 9:42 AM, Stephan Richter wrote:

> On Sunday 16 October 2005 09:01, Gary Poster wrote:
>
>>> Let's say the content provider package offers the concept and the
>>> viewlet package offers a implementation which depends on page
>>> templates.
>>>

>> OK, that makes sense.  The contentprovider package offers up two
>> bits, then: the pattern of looking up by (context, request, view),
>> and the TALES directive.  It sounds like your division of
>> contentprovider and viewlet was directly to support your use of
>> another template language--which is not going to need the TALES
>> directive?
>>

> The viewlet manager is just a content provider, it thus integrates
> nicely with
> TAL and TALES.

Absolutely; I understand the necessity of the TAL/TALES stuff for the
viewlet package.  I was questioning the TALES directive being placed
in the contentprovider package, since the only use case Roger
mentioned for the contentprovider package (as separate from viewlet)
didn't need it.  That suggests it perhaps could be pushed up into
viewlet, since there appears to be no coherent story for use of the
contentprovider package in TALES without the code in viewlet.  So
just move the TALES into viewlet with the rest of it, and leave only
the interfaces for the multiadapter lookup in contentprovider.

If my objections on this point merely lead to a compelling bit of
elaboration in contentprovider's README as to when and why one might
use contentprovider without viewlet (i.e., "this package is useful
when you aren't using ZPTs but want the basic pattern used by the
viewlet package, or when [...some other story that explains why the
TALES code is there...]") then I will regard my time providing
feedback on this part of the proposal as well-spent.

> BTW, I am going to respond to your longer mail later.

Excellent, thanks.

Gary