[Zope3-dev] Re: XML header and TAL interpretor

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Sep 1 10:47:53 EDT 2005

Tonico Strasser wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen schrieb:
>
>> Tonico Strasser wrote:

>>> But that's why ZTPs have HTML mode, no?
>>
>> Yes. But rather than helping us, those features are more and more in our
>> way. And with XML and HTML modes being incompatible, I rather opt for
>> XML mode and sacrifice a small convenience that I could even bring back
>> by using additional tools.

>>> Yes, would also like to see this.
>>
>> Ah, good. It wasn't at all clear that you actually supported the
>> proposal :).
>
> Yes, if it's still possible to trigger HTML mode. But what about
> backwards compatibility if we make XML the default mode?

Well, the namespace stuff would probably account for a major breakage.
Thus, over the span of two Zope releases, XML mode could be forgiveful
when people forget to register namespace declarations. Of course, it
would render deprecation warnings.

I can't imagine a smooth transition for the other "features" of HTML
mode because they are like on/off switches. Either you convert <br/> to
and the other things.

I think it's time to sketch out a proposal :).

Philipp