[Zope3-dev] Re: Drop-in rich (JS/CSS-dependent) view components: Please review (was Re: Resource Library Proposal)

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Wed Sep 7 17:03:55 EDT 2005

On Sep 7, 2005, at 4:48 PM, Max M wrote:

> Gary Poster wrote:
>

>> The use case for this tool is to allow rich view components, such
>> as  form widgets (but there are many other examples), that rely on
>> JS and  CSS to work in a more componentized, drop-in way.
>>

> While reasearching Ajax technology, I stumbled across this site:
>
> http://www.backbase.com/
>
> They have developed a series of custom tags, that works cross
> browser. I ran their demos in both IE and Firefox.
>
> It seems like a good way to go.
>
> As it is a combination af xml, css and javaScript, all running in
> the client, it can be developed independently of Zope, and so be
> used in many more projects. Both zope 2+3 and other technologies.
>
> It would probably have a better chance of survival then.

I doubt we'll agree as a community on a non-open-source platform.

Even if it were, backbase is not a replacement for resourcelibrary:
they serve different use cases.  http://openjsan.org/ and http://
dojotoolkit.com/ are closer to being competitors.  They still don't
match exactly, but they are closer.

Gary