[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-Users] ODBC database adapter for Zope3?

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Thu Sep 8 07:39:11 EDT 2005

On Thursday 08 September 2005 06:04, Chris Withers wrote:
> >>Is there any reason the Zope 3 RBD machinery can't just work with ANY
> >>Python DBAPI 2.0 (or whatever..) compatible database library?
> >
> > Yes, we have the need. We need the wrapper to correctly handle our
> > transactions, so that if a RDB transaction is aborted, the ZODB/Zope
> > transaction should also be aborted, etc.

Here are a couple more reasons:

1. Parse the DSN to the various DB package formats. One of the big problems of
Python's DB API is that it does not specify a unified connection mechanism,
while Zope 3 does, which is a very good thing.

2. Advanced DA implementations support much more datatype conversion than the
default database connection package. This is particularly visible for the
PstGreSQL DB Adapter. For example, a good DB adapter should always ensure
that all datetimes have pytz timezones associated with them. This in
particular is a functionality a generic Python library cannot provide, since
Python does not commit to a particular timezone implementation.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter