[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-Users] ODBC database adapter for Zope3?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Sep 12 03:27:28 EDT 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:
> 1. Parse the DSN to the various DB package formats. One of the big problems of
> Python's DB API is that it does not specify a unified connection mechanism,
> while Zope 3 does, which is a very good thing.

Oh :-( That sucks. Is there a DBAPI sig for python that we should be
talking to about getting that fixed?

> 2. Advanced DA implementations support much more datatype conversion than the
> default database connection package.

Yes, but it's inconsistency between DAs on this front that causes
problems...

> For example, a good DB adapter should always ensure
> that all datetimes have pytz timezones associated with them.

Exactly, which is why that kind of stuff should be in a central place.
What happens if a DA DOESN'T do this when someone is expecting it to?
(the other common problematic type is that of an SQL NULL)

> This in
> particular is a functionality a generic Python library cannot provide, since
> Python does not commit to a particular timezone implementation.

...more's the pity ;-)

That said, surely it'd be a good thing if all this stuff was in one
place for Zope 3?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk