[Zope3-dev] eggifying zc.resourcelibrary, zc.table and others

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Apr 5 05:28:46 EDT 2006

Gary Poster wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2006, at 12:38 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> * does anyone have any objections if I make eggs for various zc.*
>> packages? In svn, this involves adding a setup.py to these packages,
>> and to add a __init__.py to the zc package that they contain (which
>> contains some egg-specific stuff).
>
> Sounds great!  (I assume the __init__ changes won't cause problems
> without setuptools around).

I'll try to verify this. Note that this __init__.py change will occur in
an __init__.py that currently doesn't in fact *exist* in these packages
(in the 'zc' directory). Presumably you don't need it now in deployment.

> Jim points out that Nathan Yergler has a
> script that can generate eggs from zpkg data; you might or might not
> find that to be easier.  It's less of an obvious win with these packages
> that have little or no zpkg metadata already, but it might still be
> quicker in some cases (no idea myself).

Thanks for the reference to that script. I'm going to avoid zpkg if I
can though, and I think you're right in that there's no ZPKG data to
speak of for these extensions.

>> * the setup.py I'll create will only work with setuptools installed;
>> is this a problem?
>
> Not from us.  You'd maybe get even more warm fuzzies from people by
> making it not require setuptools, but that limitation doesn't bother us.

Okay, good. Warm fuzzies are nice, but I won't worry too much about that.

[snip]

>> * to get the full egg experience, I'd like to have them uploaded to
>> the cheeseshop. I could do this myself, but they're not my packages.
>> Can I? or does someone else want to do this? I'll of course gladly
>> give admin rights for these packages to the real creators.
>
> Jim also suggests the new, as-of-this-moment-no-longer-secret
> http://download.zope.org/distribution/ as a possible location instead.
> All Zope committers have the appropriate privileges to scp to this
> directory.  That's where he will be doing his egg work, at least until
> he thinks we have figured out the best way to make Zope eggs.  It can be
> used a setuptools source.

Okay, that's interesting - I'll investigate this ex-secret location. :)

> If you want to use the cheeseshop anyway, that's ok too.

Okay, I'll take a look around and decide what makes sense.

Thanks!

Martijn