[Zope3-dev] Re: eggifying zc.resourcelibrary, zc.table and others

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Tue Apr 4 14:58:02 EDT 2006

Gary Poster wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2006, at 12:38 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> * does anyone have any objections if I make eggs for various zc.*
>> packages? In svn, this involves adding a setup.py to these  packages,
>> and to add a __init__.py to the zc package that they  contain (which
>> contains some egg-specific stuff).
>

> Sounds great!  (I assume the __init__ changes won't cause problems
> without setuptools around).

There is supposed to be a dance in Python itself for declaring a
namespace package.  Framkly, anybody who wants to play along *without*
setuptools installed has rocks in their heads:  distutils is too wanky
to use by itself for "complicated" cases, and setuptools makes it just
barely tolerable.

>  Jim points out that Nathan Yergler has a
> script that can generate eggs from zpkg data; you might or might not
> find that to be easier.  It's less of an obvious win with these
> packages that have little or no zpkg metadata already, but it might
> still be quicker in some cases (no idea myself).
>

>> * the setup.py I'll create will only work with setuptools  installed;
>> is this a problem?
>

> Not from us.  You'd maybe get even more warm fuzzies from people by
> making it not require setuptools, but that limitation doesn't bother us.
>

>> * what email address should I list for the author of some zc  package?
>> this is information that will appear in the cheeseshop.
>

> zope3-dev at zope.org
>

>> * to get the full egg experience, I'd like to have them uploaded to
>> the cheeseshop. I could do this myself, but they're not my  packages.
>> Can I? or does someone else want to do this? I'll of  course gladly
>> give admin rights for these packages to the real  creators.
>

> Jim also suggests the new, as-of-this-moment-no-longer-secret http://
> download.zope.org/distribution/ as a possible location instead.  All
> Zope committers have the appropriate privileges to scp to this
> directory.  That's where he will be doing his egg work, at least  until
> he thinks we have figured out the best way to make Zope eggs.   It can
> be used a setuptools source.

Note that I am actively working in that directory on eggifying a number
of the "top-level" zope packages in "released" verisons (typically in
the flavors which shipped with ZopeX3.0.0 and Zope3.2).

> If you want to use the cheeseshop anyway, that's ok too.

- --
Tres Seaver          +1 202-558-7113          tseaver at palladion.com