[Zope3-dev] zope.i18n.translate ignores keyword arguments: desired/expected?

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 10:49:34 EDT 2006

On 4/10/06, Gary Poster <gary at zope.com> wrote:
> My strawman is that all non-None `translate` keyword arguments should
> win over msgid values.

+1

> A valid counter-argument for domain, at least, is that this is really
> an attribute of the msgid, and overriding it effectively changes the
> msgid into an entirely different token.  But I'm tempted to go with
> simple logic and just say 'keywords override msgids'.

This is the only one that could be argued, and I'd be swayed by a
reasonable case.  Since no one was forthcoming with a rationale, I'd
be tempted to make the change so the screams can be heard if there's
code that depends on the current behavior.  This kind of thing is what
alphas and betas are intended to rout.

  -Fred

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education." -- Mark Twain