[Zope3-dev] Re: Update: The browser:page compromise

Andreas Reuleaux reuleaux at web.de
Sun Apr 23 10:01:35 EDT 2006

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 02:52:14PM +0200, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On 4/23/06, Andreas Reuleaux <reuleaux at web.de> wrote:
> > Sorry, I wonder if you read my suggestion carefully. In particular
> > I suggested having a period where only the new (and ugly) statement
> > is allowed, and only after that to reintroduce the old statment
> > with a new meaning.
>
> Yes, so you suggest that we deprecate a statement for a statement that
> we intent to deprecate. And that just makes no sense.

The reason I was suggesting to introduce a new statement
(<browse2:page>, <browser:publish>, ...) with the intent to later
deprecate it, was the lack of good notation, at least something
that is as good as the original <browse:page>, that is after
all how this dicussion thread started.

If everyone is fine on this list that <browser:publish> is just as
good as <browser:page> then I can certainly live with that for a
longer time - Philipp expressed some concerns in this thread though
(http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2006-April/019229.html).

I was just suggesting a possible way to allow for a smooth
transition and in the long run to aim for the best notation
possible. - I am certainly open for discussion though what
that best notation is.

To stress the comparison with the Python language once more
and to give a concrete example:
  In Python 2.x we have range() and xrange()
  In Python 3.y we will have range() with the meaning of the former xrange()
That is because xrange() is the better function and range()
is the better (simpler) notation.

> > Such things (reintroduction of a known notation with a new meaning)
> > are happening in the Python language itself as I pointed out,
> > so I assume it makes some sense.
>
> Python 3 is to Python 2 and Zope 3 is to Zope 2. A big and
> intentionally largely incompatible rewrite, and can not be compared
> with this.

See above.

-Andreas