[Zope3-dev] Re: Update: The browser:page compromise

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sun Apr 23 12:44:20 EDT 2006

Andreas Reuleaux wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 02:52:14PM +0200, Lennart Regebro wrote:
>> On 4/23/06, Andreas Reuleaux <reuleaux at web.de> wrote:
>>> Sorry, I wonder if you read my suggestion carefully. In particular
>>> I suggested having a period where only the new (and ugly) statement
>>> is allowed, and only after that to reintroduce the old statment
>>> with a new meaning.
>> Yes, so you suggest that we deprecate a statement for a statement that
>> we intent to deprecate. And that just makes no sense.
>
> The reason I was suggesting to introduce a new statement
> (<browse2:page>, <browser:publish>, ...) with the intent to later
> deprecate it, was the lack of good notation, at least something
> that is as good as the original <browse:page>, that is after
> all how this dicussion thread started.
>
> If everyone is fine on this list that <browser:publish> is just as
> good as <browser:page> then I can certainly live with that for a
> longer time - Philipp expressed some concerns in this thread though
> (http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2006-April/019229.html).

Yes, mostly because our nomenclature talks about "pages" all the time.
Plus, "publish" is a verb. Most ZCML directives are nouns.

> I was just suggesting a possible way to allow for a smooth
> transition and in the long run to aim for the best notation
> possible. - I am certainly open for discussion though what
> that best notation is.

Same here. Man, there must be some people out there who are smarter than
we and can come up with a decent name...

> To stress the comparison with the Python language once more
> and to give a concrete example:
>   In Python 2.x we have range() and xrange()
>   In Python 3.y we will have range() with the meaning of the former xrange()
> That is because xrange() is the better function and range()
> is the better (simpler) notation.

Like Lennart said, Python 2 to 3 is a quantum leap. It's not comparable
with Zope 3.3 -> 3.5.

Philipp