[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-checkins] SVN: Zope3/trunk/src/zope/dublincore/ Dublin Core property to use Dublin Core meta data as simple properties.

Jürgen Kartnaller juergen at kartnaller.at
Tue Aug 15 02:43:05 EDT 2006

Fred Drake wrote:
> On 8/14/06, Jürgen Kartnaller <juergen at kartnaller.at> wrote:
>> It definitely doesn't obsolete the existing implementation.
>> DCProperty is the other way around.
>>
>> DCProperty allows access to DC meta data via simple properties.
>
> I agree that these should co-exist.  I'm not sure just what motivated
> DCProperty, but it's clearly different from the partial adapter.  The
> motivation for theh partial adapter was that for some content, some of
> the data fields correspond directly to DC elements.  For those, we
> wanted the DC adapter to use the fields instead of storing the
> information outside the object.

When defining our content types we almost always end up with properties
which are already defined in Dublin Core. Also the Dublin Core
implementation of Zope 3 gives us a lot of meta data for free. Dublin
Core has the advantage that the access to common information is
standardized but it is not as easy to access DC meta data as it is to
access a simple property of the content type.
So we decided to have the advantage of Dublin Core and the advantage of
simple property access in one.

Regards
Jürgen