[Zope3-dev] speeding up buildout of individual parts

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Dec 6 16:30:00 EST 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 4:03 PM, Christian Theune wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> This should work a lot better as of a couple of days ago.
>
> I noticed the updates in the last days, didn't change much for me
> though. The longest time is the 'svn up' in the Zope 3 checkout. It
> takes about 32 seconds when I run 'bin/buildout install zope3' (Zope 3
> being a zc.recipe.zope3checkout). This is a long time if you're
> running
> bin/buildout many times while working on recipes or buildouts.
>
>>> However, in my case buildout installs/updates depending recipes too
>>> which in my case means updating a Zope 3 checkout (this takes a long
>>> time from Europe).
>>
>> It should only reinstall parts who's configuration has changed.
>> Without any more specifics, it is hard to make a more specific
>> comment. :)
>> In particular, I'm not sure what you mean by "depending" above.
>
> Right. I guess 'depending' was a term I chose because I didn't know
> better. I'm pretty sure that I didn't change any configuration in the
> buildout at all, but the zope3checkout install is run every time, even
> when I specify just the zope3instance to be installed.

So you meant depended on.  You have a Zope 3 instance part that
depends on
a zope 3 installation which is a checkout.  Now, when you install a
part, any
part it references will be included in the part list.
The zope3checkout does an svn up whenever it runs.

>>> Any idea whether it would be reasonable/wise to have a mode that
>>> says
>>> "This part only please and I mean it!"?
>>
>> Perhaps, although we still have to initialize other parts that a part
>> references
>> so that they can compute data that the referencing part needs.
>
> Right. Again, that's not the time-critical part so not a problem.

OK, I agree. So we'll either need another command, or an option on
the install command (or maybe a buildout section option).

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org