[Zope3-dev] Re: [SpringCleaning07]

Jim Washington jwashin at vt.edu
Wed Dec 20 07:21:39 EST 2006

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> http://genshi.edgewall.org
>
> Inspired by Kid (in turn among others inspired by ZPT), the main
> template language of TurboGears, written by the people who also
> created Trac, and it seems to be getting traction. TurboGears among
> others is going to adopt it, but also things like the creator of
> SQLAlchemy (and Myghthy) spending time optimizing it, etc. It's close
> enough to ZPT to be palatable to me, and has some nice features for
> reuse.
>
> If we're going to get out of the server business we could also
> consider getting out of the template language business. :)

Martijn

I'm a big fan of using lxml.etree for templating.  Very pythonic, very
easy to refactor, very explicit.

It's premature to announce (we plan to have eggs on pypi soon) , but
take a look at zif.xtemplate at zif.sourceforge.net .  It's pretty alpha
at the moment, but it uses a DTD and some xpath to get around the "tags
that shouldn't be minimized" issue, and it includes a first stab at an
HTML sanitizer, to use when snippets of untrusted HTML are to be
included on a page.  In addition, the entire page DOM is available for
postprocessing right up until serialization.  Of course, those with
better lxml knowledge are encouraged to point out issues with the
implementation.

-Jim Washington