[Zope3-dev] Re: Need to get more involved in Web SIG (was Re: Fixing ZServer bugs?)

Christian Zagrodnick cz at gocept.com
Thu Dec 21 02:34:53 EST 2006

On 2006-12-19 16:12:47 +0100, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> said:

>> I think only Michael Kerrin actively supports Twisted. I'm not sure
>> what the status of that is.  The last time I made time to pay attention to
>> this, at the time we released Zope 3.2, the Twisted WSGI integration
>> had a lot of problems.  I tried to address the most urgent ones, but
>> ended up with a server that was much slower than ZServer, which was
>> much slower than the Zope 2 server.  I was also alarmed that we were
>> maintaining our own Twisted WSGI integration.  I don't know if the Twisted
>> community has gotten behind WSGI.  If not, I'm not sure we gained anything
>> from using Twisted.
>
> I'm having second thoughts about the Twisted integration for a number
> of reasons:
>
> * Twisted people actively dislike eggs. They won't eggify Twisted any
> time soon.

*gaah*

> * Twisted async approach doesn't really match Zope's threaded approach.

I'm not sure how the twisted integration works at all. But combining
both worlds in a way seems good.   Twisted's callLater would be very
handy for instance. The zc.async package allows some support for
asynchronous calls. All that would be gone w/o using twisted.

> and your reason:
>
> * Who is maintaining Twisted's WSGI integration? If that's us, then that sucks.

That's true. Especially because the Zope people think differntly than
Twisted people ;)

--
Christian Zagrodnick

gocept gmbh & co. kg  ·  forsterstrasse 29 · 06112 halle/saale
www.gocept.com · fon. +49 345 12298894 · fax. +49 345 12298891