[Zope3-dev] Re: Need to get more involved in Web SIG (was Re: Fixing ZServer bugs?)

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Dec 19 16:34:19 EST 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
[snip zope.interface missing]
> Hm, so it was checked by setup. Dang.  Well, we could hack around this
> in various ways, but it wouldn't be fun.

Yes, it appears it was checked by setup.py. In my experience the
diversity of special setup.py's out there is a good example of why it's
bad to do too much configuration in Python code. This is ironic given
that I'm advocating Grok, but I guess there are good and bad ways to do
this kind of configuration. :)

>> In general, it makes me uncomfortable to be relying on there being an
>> egg when the project appears to have an active antipathy to
>> easy_install and eggs.
>
> It would be enough to rely on their being s source release that we could
> use without too much pain. Of course that remains to be seen. :)
> At this stage, I certainly wouldn't use the lack of egg support as a reason
> to disqualify Twisted.

I agree, and I didn't mean tot say that it was. I'm just saying it's
another strike against. I was really disappointed in the hostility they
seemed to display against eggs. It starts to add up after a while.

That said, I've just dropped a note to the author of the FAPWS WSGI (who
also appears to be involved with Twisted) with an introduction and
asking him what's up. :)

Regards,

Martijn