[Zope3-dev] The bug fixing problem

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Wed Jul 5 05:46:52 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm sitting at EuroPython right now, and a small discussion came up,
trying to find out why nobody seems motivated to fix bugs came up.

Martijn Fassen noted that the tools we use should be better (I agree on
that, especially making it easy to find which bugs need to be urgently
fixed for the next release). Obviously that isn't a pure problem on it's
own.

As I was credited all the time for fixing many bugs for the next
release, I'd like to jump in and explain what I think makes me not fix
more bugs:

I feel like fixing a bug every now and then when I have like 30 minutes
spare time and want to do something useful. In my general experience of
customer projects 30 minutes usually are enough to squash 1 or 2
(reasonably sized) bugs.

I think we should encourage this pattern. I have a couple of feelings
how we could do that, but can't sort those out completely right now. One
thing that I'd very much like to see is that people who have an idea or
a hint for fixing a bug attach that

Another thing are the rules about unit tests. Some bugs touch areas that
are poorly tested. When I fix a bug over there, do I have to work harder
to introduce the fix because I have to start introducing tests?
We should find and announce a reasonable answer for the procedure in
this case.

Christian