[Zope3-dev] The bug fixing problem

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Wed Jul 5 08:14:21 EDT 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 11:46:52AM +0200, Christian Theune wrote:
> I'm sitting at EuroPython right now, and a small discussion came up,
> trying to find out why nobody seems motivated to fix bugs came up.
> I feel like fixing a bug every now and then when I have like 30 minutes
> spare time and want to do something useful.

This happens to me about once a month.  I get the "wanna fix a bug in 30
minutes" feeling, head over to the Zope 3 collection, and start
browsing.  Almost always I find no bug that I'd want to fix at the time.
There are several reasons:

1. Some of the bug reports I do not understand.
2. Some of the bugs need changes in code that I'm not familiar with.
3. For some of the bugs it is unclear what ought to be done.

(2) and (3) are pretty close, but (3) refers to behaviour visible from
the outside, while (2) refers to implementation details.

I do not think that the requirements to

4. Write unit tests
5. Merge bugfixes from trunk to the release branch
6. Wait for the incredibly slow updates on the collector

discourage me all that much.

I think that if more bug reports had a solution outlined in English, I'd
be more likely to go fix them every now and them.

Marius Gedminas
--
We'll show a small example here with one user calling another. (Under
international treaties describing technical papers these users must be called