[Zope3-dev] The bug fixing problem

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Jul 11 08:49:24 EDT 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:
[snip]
> Snipping further collector complaints.  The bug fiing problem is
> *not* a tool issue.

I agree it isn't primarily or just a tool issue, but we do have tool
issues and there are better tools out there. Developers would be helped
by a tool which encourages people to interact with it instead of scares
it, and people who submit bugs would be helped by getting clearer
information about the status of their bug.

A way to mark bugs for milestones is in my opinion, for instance, a
better way to handle bugs than having to mark them critical to get them
picked up and considered before a Zope release happens. More modest
submitters may mark something as 'bug', and their bug might not be
seen.. With a milestone mechanism instead of relying on 'critical' it
becomes a lot easier to defer things to a following release, with less
risk of actually losing track of issues. I believe that without
deferring issues, a release of a large piece of software like Zope 3 is
in fact not possible, given limited resources.

Regards,

Martijn