[Zope3-dev] eggs in a Zope 3.3 instance

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Jun 15 11:41:20 EDT 2006

Martijn Faassen wrote:
[snip]
> It'd be nice if this all just worked right away with Zope 3.3, though
> it's too late to be adding new features... Perhaps other people are
> using different patterns to make this work? Please let me know!

The more I think about it, the more attractive the idea sounds to simply
make the instance's lib/python a site (by doctoring the bin/test,
bin/zopectl and bin/runzope scripts to do a site.addsitedir() on it).
The whole setuptools infrastructure expects eggs are installed in sites,
otherwise it won't work.

Can anyone think of any negative consequences of making instance's
lib/python a site? If not, I'm for sneaking in the addsitedir() bit into
Zope 3.3.

This doesn't solve *everything*: running tests out of eggs (useful when
installing them in development mode at least) is still too hard. It is
*possible* by just pointing the test runner directly to the SVN checkout
though:

bin/test --path=hurry.file/src/ --test-path=hurry.file/src/ -s hurry.file

where hurry.file is the SVN checkout. Why I have to do the --path bit
I'm not sure about; in fact you'd expect that not to be needed as the
test runner should be able to pick up the eggs in lib/python. I've got
them installed as egg-link in this setup though using setup.py develop,
so that might make it harder to find..

Regards,

Martijn