[Zope3-dev] eggs in a Zope 3.3 instance

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jun 15 18:48:37 EDT 2006

On Jun 15, 2006, at 10:42 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to develop with eggs now in a straight Zope 3.3
> instance. I've make it all work with Schooltool, but that's hardly
> a "normal" Zope 3 install, and now I'm trying to figure out the way
> of working with egg dependencies in the face of a Zope 3 instance
> home setup.

I'm working on something sort of along the same lines, but more
general.

See the fledgeling zc.buildout project:

   http://svn.zope.org/zc.buildout/trunk/

In particular look at:

   http://svn.zope.org/zc.buildout/trunk/src/zc/buildout/buildout.txt?
view=auto

   http://svn.zope.org/zc.buildout/trunk/testrunnerrecipe/src/zc/
recipe/testrunner/README.txt?view=auto

   http://svn.zope.org/zc.buildout/trunk/eggrecipe/src/zc/recipe/egg/
README.txt?view=auto

Some things to note:

- We install scripts that have paths baked into them.
   This has a number of advantages:

   o You don't need a custom site.py.

   o You can have multiple scripts that use different
       egg versions.

   o You don't need Python path set in special ways

   o Scripts don't have to load setuptools

- There is a test-runner recipe that generates a test runner
   script based on eggs to be tested.

It was my intent to use this to manage eggs-based Zope
checkouts.

I plan to present this work at EuroPython.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org