[Zope3-dev] eggs in a Zope 3.3 instance

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Fri Jun 16 09:21:51 EDT 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2006, at 10:42 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm trying to develop with eggs now in a straight Zope 3.3 instance.
>> I've make it all work with Schooltool, but that's hardly a "normal"
>> Zope 3 install, and now I'm trying to figure out the way of working
>> with egg dependencies in the face of a Zope 3 instance home setup.
>
> I'm working on something sort of along the same lines, but more
> general.
>
> See the fledgeling zc.buildout project:
>
>   http://svn.zope.org/zc.buildout/trunk/

I looked at it for a bit, but I was a bit confused about the goals of
the project. Perhaps something could be added to the README that
explains what kind of usecases this project is covering? What does one
do when one wants to set up an application into a Zope 3 instance, say?

Anyway, I considered using zc.buildout but was a bit lost, and just
reverted to a simple approach.

[snip]

> Some things to note:
>
> - We install scripts that have paths baked into them.
>   This has a number of advantages:
>
>   o You don't need a custom site.py.
>
>   o You can have multiple scripts that use different
>       egg versions.
>
>   o You don't need Python path set in special ways
>
>   o Scripts don't have to load setuptools

Those are indeed nice features. One of the things that bothers me about
eggs is the amount of site.py hackery that seems to be going on. It
works, but it just feels rather too magic.

> - There is a test-runner recipe that generates a test runner
>   script based on eggs to be tested.
>
> It was my intent to use this to manage eggs-based Zope
> checkouts.

By this you mean an egg-managed Zope itself, right? I'm just interested
in getting eggs working with Zope 3 instances.

Would you

> I plan to present this work at EuroPython.

I saw it in the program and will attent the talk with interest. :)

Concretely, what do you think about making lib/python in a Zope 3.3
instance a site for now (calling site.addsitedir())? It'd make it a ton
easier to install complicated multi-package Zope 3 applications into an
instance and we're just a few lines of code away from accomplishing this.

Regards,

Martijn