[Zope3-dev] Re: wading through zcml...

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Nov 17 07:48:51 EST 2006

Chris Withers wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> browser:view
>>   Note: browser:view always creates new classes on the fly.
>
> evil
>
>> browser:page
>>   Registers an adapter where the second adapted object defaults to
>>   IBrowserDefaltLayer. Always creates a new class on the fly and
>>   mixes in functionality that makes the adapter a *publishable view*.
>
> evil.
>
>> I'm sick of ZCML and its magic and its inconsistency. The typing and
>> the pointy brackets I could live with... ME GROK SMASH ZCML.
>
> Yeah, ZCML is the new acquisition :-(

Well, the ZCML directives we currently have. If we had better and more
sensible directives, it might be much better.

> It's sad that one of it's main selling points (the ability to "turn off"
> configuration made in another package) was never implemented :-(

Not yet. We're getting there.

> That said, I can live with most of the crap, but these dynamically
> generated classes... wtf? why? why did that? why are they still breathing?!

*sigh* I don't know who came up with the idea, and I don't really care
as I don't want to point fingers at anyone. The reasons are probably
historical...

> Whatever happened to explicit is better than implicit et al?

Exactly.

>>> I'm trying to register an adapter in such a way that I can do the
>>> following in a page template:

>>> Which of the myriad flavours of view registration should I be using?
>>
>> Inherit from BrowserView
>
> Everyone says this, but why is it a good idea? I want these things to be
> _really_ light, they're going to be used a lot in every page render...

BrowserView and BrowserPage *are* really light. Look at them.

Note that you would get them mixed into your view component
automatically by ZCML anyways (at least when using browser:view /
browser:page).